August 9, 2012
Although training for the Olympics can be a full-time job, many athletes need another job to pay the rent.
Remember, the International Olympic Committee doesn't pay them squat.
The 8 Richest Athletes at the 2012 Olympics
Some of them have predictable jobs, coaching the next generation of athletes, but others are harder to guess. Like U.S. fencing star Race Imboden, who moonlights as a DJ.
Here's what 36 Olympic athletes do to pay the bills:
1. Triathlon Gwen Jorgensen works as an accountant at Ernst & Young.
2. Hong Kong's Chi Yip Cheung is a full-time fireman when he's not competing in the judo matches.
3. Norwegian marathon runner Urige Buta is also a janitor.
4. South African archer Karen Anne Hultzer is a landscaper by profession.
5. Great Britain's Natasha Perdue is a trash collector by day and a weight lifter at the Olympics.
6. American sailor Debbie Capozzi works at her family's Italian ice shop called Tina's Italian Ices in Patchogue, N.Y.
7. Diver Troy Dumais is a life advisor at the University of Texas.
8. American fencer Race Imboden is a DJ and was an intern for a record label called Fool's Gold.
9. Shooter Emil Milev is a physical education teacher at Booker T. Washington Elementary School in Tampa, FL.
10. Norwegian rower Olaf Tufte is a fireman and a farmer.
11. Jumper Jamie Nieto is an actor when he's not competing.
12. Swimmer Daniel Arnamnart is a writer.
13. Russian Javelin thrower Maria Abakumova is in the Armed Forces.
14. Wrestler Jared Frayer is a teacher and coach.
15. Australian shooter Dina Aspandiyarova works as a travel agent.
16. Australian boxer Ibrahim Balla is a plumber by trade.
17. Australian shooter Clive Barton makes his living farming.
18. Australian Gemma Beadsworth competes in water polo, and is also a research analyst.
19. And her brother Jamie Beadsworth, who also competes in water polo, is a lawyer.
20. Argentina rower Maria Laura Abalo will go back to journalism when the games end.
21. Australian kayaker Jo Brigden-Jones is a nurse when she's not on the waters.
22. Discus thrower Lance Brooks is a construction worker in Indiana.
23. Wrestler Chas Betts is a motions designer and specializes in animation graphics.
24. Hockey player Nathan Burgers is a teacher in Australia.
25. Argentinian wrestler Patricia Alejandra Bermudez works as a police officer.
26. Italian hurdler Emanuele Abate is also a police officer.
27. Dotsie Bausch, the American cyclist, is a motivational speaker when she's not competing.
28. Argentinian kayaker Miguel Antonio Correa is a chef during the day.
29. Australian rower Samuel Beltz works as a physiotherapist.
30. Haitian jumper Samyr Lain works as a lawyer during the day.
31. Dennis Bowsher competes in the modern pentathlon and is a specialist in the U.S. Army.
32. Hurdler Kerron Clement is an American actor and model.
33. Natalie Dell is a health researcher for veterans and a rower for Team USA.
34. Boxer Joseph Diaz Jr. is a server and a student at Fresno State University.
35. American rower Zsuzsanna Francia is a fitness model and writer.
36. Rower Elliot Hovey is an elementary substitute teacher in California.
More from Business Insider:
The History Of The Olympics In Three Brilliantly Animated Minutes
PRESENTING: The Incredible Venues Of The 2012 London Olympics
The Best Name We've Seen In The Olympics So Far
WATCH: The 'Queen' Jumps Out Of A Helicopter At The Olympic Opening Ceremony
Art Competitions, Motorboating And Other 'Sports' You Don't See At The Olympics Anymore