Wait. Donald Trump has his own brand of mattresses? Well, had his own brand of mattresses.
Late Wednesday, Serta, the mattress company, announced that it would stop selling the Trump Home line of mattresses in response to remarks the real estate mogul and vanity presidential candidate made calling immigrants crossing the Southern U.S. border “rapists” and criminals.
According to Bloomberg News, Serta, the largest mattress company in the U.S., announced the decision in an email that said, in part, “Serta values diversity and does not agree with nor endorse the recent statements made by Mr. Trump.” The company said it is “in the process of unwinding our relationship.”
Serta joins a movement launched by Spanish-language television giant Univision, which announced last week that it would no longer carry the Miss Universe pageant, which Trump partially owns. Trump rewarded Univision with a $500 million lawsuit and a stream of public abuse on social media. The NBC television network was next to cut ties with the self-promoting businessman once described by Spy Magazine as a “short-fingered vulgarian,” and then, it was as though a dam had broken.
On Wednesday morning, Macy’s announced that it would stop selling its Trump-branded clothing line, joining a rapidly growing list of companies, celebrities, sports associations and minor celebrities in the mad stampede to cut ties with Trump.
In his own inimitable way, Trump has tried to do damage control, blasting the companies in a headlong rush to get away from the toxic cloud surrounding him as “weak” and “foolish.” He has also highlighted the business connections who, he says, continue to stand by him.
In an interview with the Golf Channel, Tuesday, Trump said, “I’ve had tremendous support from the golf world, because they all know I’m right.”
Except… not so much.
"In response to Mr. Trump's comments about the golf industry `knowing he is right' in regards to his recent statements about Mexican immigrants, we feel compelled to clarify that those remarks do not reflect the views of our organizations," said a joint statement from the four major U.S. golf associations. "While the LPGA, PGA of America, PGA Tour and USGA do not usually comment on presidential politics, Mr. Trump's comments are inconsistent with our strong commitment to an inclusive and welcoming environment in the game of golf."
Even B-list celebrities who host the Trump-owned Miss Universe pageant and populate its panel of judges – former NFL running back Emmitt Smith, HGTV “Property Brothers” star Jonathan Scott, and others – have been jumping ship. Hip hop artist Flo Rida and a handful of other scheduled performers have announced that they will not appear at the pageant which is scheduled for July 12 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
Heck, even beauty queens themselves are bailing on The Donald. Costa Rica on Wednesday became the latest Latino country to refuse to send a representative to the contest. And Miss Mexico, Wendolly Esparza, told media in her home country that she would not participate either, adding, “The biggest crown for Mexico is its dignity.”
Seriously, Donald Trump losing the support of beauty pageant contestants? It’s like a ringmaster watching the circus elephants walk off the job. You know the crowd won’t hang around for long, either.
Top Reads from The Fiscal Times: