Optics have always a big part of presidential campaigns. From Lincoln’s log cabin to Obama’s Shepard Fairey poster, Presidential aspirants have strived to present themselves as heroic and inspirational. Just as prevalent has been the use of images to demonize or belittle your opponent (think Dukakis’s helmet or Kerry’s windsurfing outfit).
The 2016 election is no exception.
- Lindsey Graham blew up his phone after Donald Trump revealed his cellphone number.
- Rand Paul took a chain saw to the 76,000 page tax code and shredded it.
- Fans of Ted Cruz circulated a photoshop image of Cruz topless and covered in prison tats.
- And who can forget “Little” Marco Rubio’s high-heeled boots, set to a music video.
- The the low point was a split image of an aggressive and hostile Heidi Cruz vs. the glamorous Melania Trump – distributed by a Trump superPac.
But perhaps no image in this election is as grotesque and disturbing as the one the Kasich campaign has served up with this bizarre, surreal, and more than little…uh…Freudian shot at Ted Cruz.
Will this Ad give Kasich an edge in his wild card strategy, or is it just the latest nightmare fueling an already unnerving election.