The race for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination just got HUGE now that Donald Trump put his brand/name in the mix. After riding down on an escalator to a podium at the Trump Tower in New York, Trump gave a typically Trump speech explaining why the American people should elect Donald Trump as their next president. Trump’s speech touched on ISIS and Iran, the U.S. economy and his own personal net worth, which he claimed is $8.7 billion and will be well over $10 billion (Forbes estimated it at $4.1 billion). Trump also mentioned China 23 times.
Below are some of the most Donald Trump quotes from Trump’s big announcement:
- “Our country is in serious trouble. We don’t have victories anymore. We used to have victories, but we don’t have them. When was the last time anybody saw us beating, let’s say, China in a trade deal? They kill us. I beat China all the time. All the time.”
- “The U.S. has become a dumping ground for everybody else’s problems…. When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”
- “Now, our country needs a truly great leader, and we need a truly great leader now. We need a leader that wrote ‘The Art of the Deal.’”
- “I will be the greatest jobs president that God ever created. I tell you that.”
- “I don’t need anybody’s money. I’m using my own money. I’m not using the lobbyists. I’m not using donors. I don’t care. I’m really rich.”
- “Somebody said to me the other day, a reporter, a very nice reporter, ‘But, Mr. Trump, you’re not a nice person.’ That’s true. But actually I am. I think I am a nice person. People that know me like me. Does my family like me? I think so.”
- “And the one thing is that when you run, you have to announce and certify to all sorts of governmental authorities your net worth. So I said, ‘That’s OK.’ I’m proud of my net worth. I’ve done an amazing job.”
- I would build a great wall, and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me, and I’ll build them very inexpensively, I will build a great, great wall on our southern border. And I will have Mexico pay for that wall.
Top Reads from The Fiscal Times: